1.If you wear makeup, why do you wear makeup and how often do you wear makeup?
I wear make-up every day. I feel anxious and self-conscious without it. A comment was made to me many years ago that I look ill without it and that has stayed with me.
2. What made you want to participate in this portrait series?
I was blown away by the honest and total natural beauty in the photographs. I didn’t think it was something I could do so I gave myself a challenge to get involved!
3. Is being completely makeup free something that makes you feel in any way uncomfortable?
Yes. I lack confidence without make-up and I feel I don’t function properly without it.
4. Are there specific factors (positive or negative) that have influenced how you feel about how you look?
I found the teenage years particularly difficult and what were throw away comments made by people who really didn’t mean any harm shaped the way I feel about myself if a negative way.
5. If there was one piece of advice for the future you could give your younger self, what would it be?
To surround myself with genuine people and remember it’s quality not quantity of friends that matters!
6. When have you felt most empowered in your life?
When my husband was made redundant and we decided to give up the daily grind and travel the world for a year. We were two of the oldest backpackers in town but it was an incredible experience.
7. Is there a woman fictional or real that you admire? Why?
Caroline Aherne. Hugely talented, funny and beautiful who was massively successful in a very modest way.
8. What quality do you most admire in yourself?
9. Is there an achievement you are particularly proud of? Why?
A standard answer I’m afraid but having my daughter. The first 3 months were incredibly challenging for me and I felt completely out of my comfort zone. I have a lovely bond with my daughter and I’m proud of all the effort I have put in to build my confidence and to give her a loving environment to grow up in.
10. In daily life what are the pressures you feel most exposed to specifically as a woman?
I feel pressure to be a great mum and wife, to provide a nice home, to look groomed and to perform at work.