1. If you wear makeup, why do you wear makeup and how often do you wear makeup?
I wear a little bit each day, I enjoy wearing more when I'm going out or dressing up as its part of dressing up and it's fun, I like colour and style and it's another way to play with this.
2. What made you want to participate in this portrait series?
I wanted an honest picture of myself, bare at forty.
3. Is being completely makeup free something that makes you feel in any way uncomfortable?
No, I'm happy with or without make up, it's just a choice depending on how I feel and what I'm doing.
4. Are there specific factors (positive or negative) that have influenced how you feel about how you look?
Everyone's own image is influenced in so many ways by so many things. I think having great people around you influence a more positive and natural sense of self and I'm lucky to have had that.
5. If there was one piece of advice for the future you could give your younger self, what would it be?
Strive harder for what you are interested in pursuing, for longer, with passion. Worry less, learn more. Don't try to impress, just be.
6. When have you felt most empowered in your life?
As a mother (but equally not!) as an artist (and equally not!).
7. Is there a woman fictional or real that you admire? Why?
So many. Women in my family, for their love and hugely varied influence on me, my nana for her strength. Friends and colleagues just living their lives, my wife who has an incredibly generous heart, my daughter who has a beautiful spirit, artists like tacita dean whose work I am moved by, artists who struggled like Frida kahlo, Agnes Martin for her subtlety, It's impossible to choose only one!
8. What quality do you most admire in yourself?
I'm very forgiving and extremely open minded.
9. Is there an achievement you are particularly proud of? Why?
Bringing my daughter up, she is a beautiful person.
10. In daily life what are the pressures you feel most exposed to specifically as a woman?
The daily pressures don't relate to being a woman so much as just being a parent, partner, daughter, professional, artist, and friend... If I can juggle all that and still maintain my own identity everything will be grand!